How full do you fill your Di Resin pod?

CheapReefer

Triggerfish
It's that time to refill my DI-Resin pod, my question to you is if you use this type of pod how full do you fill it before you screw the cap back on.
I find it a right pain in the arse to fill, most of the time I get to much in and when I screw the cap back on it all swished up around the thread and the it's a right pain to get it cleaned off :mad:

I know that there can be no air gaps so it needs to be full but how full do you fill this type of pod before screwing the cap back on?
xQuZfDR.jpg

VmFBVPV.jpg

Thanks

I don’t find it too bad. I fill it up, push the resin in gently by screwing the lid on so it’s packed properly, add a bit more, push in once more as above then fill to the top and screw on the (washed) lid.

Then give the thread and o ring a wipe with a damp cloth.

I do it in a bowl so any loose resin gets caught.

Never had a leak (yet!)

I have one of these, I have to say it's not the easiest to fill, other brands I also have are far easier..
I use a funnel to fill it 95%, then I slowly trickle some existing RO through the container which helps to settle it down lower, then add more to get it to just below the top, leaving enough space to add the floss thing in.
The other 2 brands I have are DD and osmotics, the DD has a rigid insert that is much easier to use to push the DI down with to compact it..

This is the pod off of my old RO unit and my new unit has just got a TDS of 1 so was going to change the resin this weekend. I just wondered if there is a knack to know how much to put in.
I have one of these, I have to say it's not the easiest to fill, other brands I also have are far easier..
I use a funnel to fill it 95%, then I slowly trickle some existing RO through the container which helps to settle it down lower, then add more to get it to just below the top, leaving enough space to add the floss thing in.
The other 2 brands I have are DD and osmotics, the DD has a rigid insert that is much easier to use to push the DI down with to compact it..
So how full is 95%, what do you use as a mark?

It should be filled right to the top so as you cant get any more in. Make sure you dont have any beads on the actual thread when you screw the top back on or it will leak

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This is the pod off of my old RO unit and my new unit has just got a TDS of 1 so was going to change the resin this weekend. I just wondered if there is a knack to know how much to put in.

So how full is 95%, what do you use as a mark?
on your picture, the top of the thread join to the main body for initial fill.. I leave the entire thread part empty only because any higher and when I pass RO through it it just spills out the top.. RO passed through generally takes it down at least another 1 -2 cm, which I then top up to half way down the thread, allowing space to place the filter insert into. its just my method, i'm not saying its the "best" or anything, I just find RO through it compacts it more than filling it with dry DI..

on your picture, the top of the thread join to the main body for initial fill.. I leave the entire thread part empty only because any higher and when I pass RO through it it just spills out the top.. RO passed through generally takes it down at least another 1 -2 cm, which I then top up to half way down the thread, allowing space to place the filter insert into. its just my method, i'm not saying its the "best" or anything, I just find RO through it compacts it more than filling it with dry DI..
Thanks

Chris do you do it in situ then? Or how do you stop water leaking out the bottom....using a bit or spare pipe or something? I’d not though of using RO and will do this in future!

Chris do you do it in situ then? Or how do you stop water leaking out the bottom....using a bit or spare pipe or something? I’d not though of using RO and will do this in future!
Hi, I just stand the pod up in a pint glass, to fill via funnel.. then pass RO through it, only need about 50ml, it doesn't matter if the RO escapes the pod into the pint glass, its the act of passing RO through it that settles it all down another cm or 2 (for me I find far better than trying to compact it into the pod dry)

I have one of these pods on mine and I use a icing bag to put into the pod and tap the pod on the kitchen side to move resin down tight and add more.

I then wash the lid and give the o-ring a wipe and the thread a wipe

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I have one of these pods on mine and I use a icing bag to put into the pod and tap the pod on the kitchen side to move resin down tight and add more.

I then wash the lid and give the o-ring a wipe and the thread a wipe

I used to tap it down this way also.. I just found that even tapping it and trying to shove the sponge in.. when I connected to RO unit, there was still some settlement and could get upto 0.5 cm at top.. which then caused (me) separation
passing some RO through it seems to compact it even more, after tapping it..

I used to tap it down this way also.. I just found that even tapping it and trying to shove the sponge in.. when I connected to RO unit, there was still some settlement and could get upto 0.5 cm at top.. which then caused (me) separation
passing some RO through it seems to compact it even more, after tapping it..
I have not had this issue my self but that's not to say I wont at some point.

But because i use a icing bag i can squeeze it in rather tight anyways so that might be why i have not had the issue

I tamp mine down with a 100ml Seachem Prime bottle, it fits the canister perfectly and you can really pack it tight. ;)

Anything round that fits snugly in the tube will work. Perhaps try to find some makeup in an appropriately sized bottle? :D

i push mine down with a miniature vodka bottle and i fill it using a desert spoon. I make sure its full i have a gauze end on mine too ( old ro-man unit) is poking up a bit then tighten it down with the cap

Reactions: K22
I use sponges both ends. pack it in as full as possible with a spoon pushing down as I go. the sponges compress when the lid is screwed on to ensure a nice tight fit...
sponges also hold resin in place while you clean your thread...

Back